We are looking for a Garden and Harvest Rescue Coordinator. To download the job posting and explore joining a great organization doing great work, click here > Garden and Harvest Rescue Coordinator Job Posting.
We’ve also included the posting below for your perusal.
Garden and Harvest Rescue Coordinator Job Posting
The Nelson Community Food Centre (NCFC) offers food access, food skills and community engagement programs. All programs aim to support community members of all abilities in dignified ways.
We are looking for a full-time (37.5 hours/week) Coordinator to manage our Garden and Harvest Rescue programs. This is a six-month contract (May, 2019 – October, 2019) with the potential for continued employment.
The Coordinator’s time will be spent approximately 50/50 on the Garden and Harvest Rescue programs. They will be responsible for managing the set up and maintenance of a new garden on the Josephine Street boulevard in front of our main space in the Nelson United Church, including involving community members in the development and maintenance of the garden. They will also be responsible for coordinating fruit picking and distribution; and donor, volunteer and participant relationships in the Harvest Rescue program. Special effort will be made to engage community members of all abilities as program participants. Therefore, the candidate will possess a mixture of community engagement skills and gardening and fruit harvesting knowledge and skills. The candidate must be able to work effectively and sensitively with a wide range of community members.
The Coordinator will work effectively with NCFC staff to ensure the organization’s overall objectives are being met. Extensive collaboration within the programs is expected.
- Experience working with people of low-incomes;
- Experience gardening and harvesting fruit (through paid or volunteer work);
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to move people from knowledge to action; ability to inspire, teach and empower community members to engage in positive change;
- Experience in a leadership capacity with volunteers and community members;
- Knowledge of systems with which low-income and/or marginalized people interact such as Income Assistance, supportive housing, Legal Aid, etc. an asset;
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse communities using a strengths-based approach, showing sensitivity to those who experience poverty/discrimination;
- Commitment to social justice and working towards improving food systems and poverty issues;
- Familiarity with Nelson (living and/or working) considered an asset;
- Safe food handling and First Aid training is required, and
- Must have regular access to a vehicle that can transport ladders.
Hours: 37.5 per week
Wage: $20 – $21.93, depending on experience. Plus 10% in lieu of benefits after 3 months of employment.
We will be accepting applications until the position is filled. The position starts immediately.
Please send cover letter and resume to: Marya Skrypiczajko; Garden and Harvest Rescue Coordinator Job Postingmarya@nelsoncfc.ca
Note: Only applicants being interviewed will be contacted. Thank you for considering this opportunity.