WE NOW HAVE A MANDATORY MASK POLICY FOR ANYONE IN THE BUILDING. STAFF, VOLUNTEERS, PARTNERS, SUPPLIERS… ANYBODY.
Measures to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 at the Nelson Community Food Centre.
With an increase in COVID cases in BC, and known cases in Nelson, our COVID advisory committee has recommended we follow a mandatory mask policy. This means all staff and volunteers will wear masks inside where we can not comfortably enforce 2 meters of physical distancing at all times. This is the best way for us to minimize the spread of COVID in our building and community.
If anyone comes to the front door, please ring our doorbell and we will come and greet you. Ideally, we can carry on our “business” outside. If not, and you need to come in, we will ask you to wear a mask and sign-in. We’ll provide masks if needed and the sign-in sheet is to aid in contact tracing efforts should the need arise in our community. Thanks for your understanding.
We are adjusting our programs and events calendar to minimize the risk of COVID 19 spreading in our building and community. We have looked to the Public Health Agency of Canada, the Province of BC and Community Food Centres Canada for guidance. Because many of our programs are centred around gatherings and making social connections—things that our health agencies suggest should be limited—some of our programs will be impacted in noticeable ways.
We will continue providing food through our food bank—but will limit the number of people gathered at the Food Centre at any one time. This is a dynamic situation that will change over time. To book a time to visit our Food Bank on Wednesdays (if you haven’t already), call 250 354-1633 ex. 1. Leave a message and we’ll call you back. For more general information on how the Nelson Community Food Centre is operating over the next few weeks, please consult this page (nelsoncfc.ca), our Facebook page, call Andrew at 250-551-0305 or email us at email@example.com. We’ll be providing updates as soon as they are available.
Thanks very much for your understanding with this. It’s not easy on any of us and we are trying to do what’s best for staff, volunteers, program participants and our community at large. We are scaling back most of our programs but are determined to continue providing food to people in our community who need it—especially in these difficult times.
For Food Bank Program participants:
* Our Food Bank program will now run Wednesdays, 1:00 – 5:00 pm.
* Note that we will be gathering contact information to follow up with you in case there has been any potential exposure to COVID.
* We have started assigning time slots for visitors to the Food Bank. If you haven’t yet been assigned a time for Wednesday, come next week and we’ll provide you a time for the week following.
* We are limiting the number of people in the Centre at any one time so there may be a wait outside.
* We will provide plastic bags for your for your groceries. Please don’t bring your own.
* Please don’t bring any egg cartons or plastic containers from home either.
* If you are sick, come to the front door and we’ll provide you with food.
* We’ll provide hand sanitizer at the centre, please try to wash your hands before you come.
* If you’d like to pick up for someone who is unable to come to the Centre, please have them call us first @ 250 354 1633.
In response to the acknowledged need for social isolation in minimizing the spread of COVID-19, the Nelson Community Food Centre team has decided to suspend all of our usual volunteer shifts, effective immediately.
This wasn’t an easy decision. Our efforts at limiting the number of people in the Centre while our Food Bank is on has to include volunteers. Staff will run the Food Bank on a rotating schedule. If there is a special need for help, you may be contacted.
As you may have guessed, the current focus on the health and well-being of our community means we’ve had to cancel our Community Dinners. Stay tuned for our next dinner event. Thanks for your understanding. If you’d like any more information regarding volunteering, feel free to call Sherri at 250-354-1633.
We are happy to see some directed donations come in to help us run our Food Bank while COVID-19 is a threat. If you’d like to donate, please understand that we are only accepting financial donations at this time. Click here to be brought directly to our donation page and thanks very much.